Saturday, May 9

Questions unanswered

I was required to write a letter for work, which discussed the idea of cultural diversity in child rearing... Well it got me thinking. So I decided that I would post some of my thoughts.

The letter required that I describe my attitude towards 'child rearing' and 'child guidance'. It was also to describe my personal values, beliefs and cultural practices and how these influence my attitude.

The first thought I had was... what's the difference between 'child rearing' and 'child guidance'? They seem to be so closely related, they are pretty much the same thing. And then was supposed to state my attitude towards it. Well, my attitude towards the idea is fairly simple. I believe that it is incredibly important for children to have an upbringing, a child rearing if you will, wherein the child is given ample opportunity to explore, create, learn right from wrong and develop at their own rate. This is something that the teacher or child care professional (or parent) should be able to provide for the child through their environment.

The childcare professional (or parent) should base all decisions from as correct a set of principles as they are privy to, and never let their emotions or background issues get in the way of communicating or teaching a child. Any communication should be with the intent to teach and care for the child. But this doesn't happen all the time. A lot of people slip up. We aren't perfect. So it's kinda hard to expect this of everyone. All the time anyway.

These are my beliefs, and these beliefs come from my cultural and family background, and they have a firm grasp on how I deal with kids and adults as well. So culture is definitely a factor for me when it comes to looking after children.

I have to admit a weakness now with this concept of cultural diversity. I am of the belief that certain cultural practices are superior to other cultural practices, and quite a few of these practices are ones that come from my own cultural background. One might say I am biased.

One example would be that I believe that it is never OK for one child to hit another, and yet in some cultures it is considered a natural consequence, and would better help the children to understand that they don’t like being hit so they shouldn’t hit others. There are many different examples where morals become involved and I have to choose between my own cultural beliefs and the child's parent’s cultural preferences.

For instance, religion is very well ingrained in some cultures of the world. At our day care, we say a prayer to Jesus before lunch with the kids. What happens if a child tells me that their parent doesn’t want them to say the prayer? Do I enforce it anyway? Ignore them? Talk to the parent? Obviously the latter is the answer, but it still becomes a sticky situation. Other situations may arise and be even more sticky. So where is the line? Where does cultural diversity and morality cross?

I don’t have the answer. I know there must be a procedure to deal with this kind of thing, but I don’t know it. And I may disagree with it, but either way, I will consent to abide by the procedure, because I want to keep my job, even if it crosses my personal beliefs. But I’m forced to question, is that right? Is it better that I abide the procedure than fight for my beliefs? Once again I don't have the answer.

Am I supposed to teach evolution? Or am I supposed to teach creationist ideas? Am I supposed to support gay/lesbian inclinations? Or am I supposed to refuse the ideas from being spread? Obviously I have my own beliefs, but am I going to be stepping over lines of cultural diversity if I suggest or imply my own beliefs?

No comments: