Tuesday, June 15

Last day for taxes

Not to scare you but here in Canada, we've got taxes due. 

The likelihood you're reading this after today it is high, so I'll say the date has probably come and gone, but for me right now, and for maybe the one or two of you who seem to actually read these words fairly soon after I post into the void of the internet - you might also feel some kind of urgency to do your taxes today or if you've already done it, good on ya and you can relax I suppose. 👌🏼

But it's funny how much looking at receipts brings up whole sections of memory. Years even. Especially if you've been disorganized at some point in your life like I have. Maybe you feel that way now. Maybe not. I like to imagine there are people who really do have systems in their work spaces that hold the details they need to be held. Like last year's receipt for a business purchase you're going to add to your tax deductions. It has taken years to get a reliable system together just for where I find scissors at any given time I need. That's a big deal in my world of paper making and graphic designing. My world shifts around so often, it's now a skill. 

Only my waywanderer friends will understand how good a warm drink is first thing on a crisp morning.

Nonetheless, I digress. I am looking at my life in the form of receipts, a rainbow of dates spread across the floor - and I am trying my best to not get sucked in, but it's like looking at photos or journal entries of major changes and choices, junctures of my life. Big stuff. Big emotion. 

I'm realizing it's not what I think it is. Doing taxes is a little bit sacred. A bit of a reckoning I suppose. A bit of a telling. A bit of a confession. A bit of a promise. Strange to think of it like this. It's a bit of a ritual. It's a good thing perhaps... 

Not how I've thought of it before. 

But I can see it and it makes me smile. 

I think I'll lean into it. For now.

Something treasured even. That would be amazing. Wow. I like this train of thought. 

Haha..... Ok. I guess I'll leave it there. 

Be well, ye strangers of the void. Eyes I never see. Till we meet again next. I hope you get your taxes done 😜✌🏼


No comments: