Wednesday, October 8

Opinions Please....

Confusion. Like an meteorite, it just hit me.

Facebook is an interesting playground because I get to test what it is that other people find interesting. It seems that people find some posts more interesting than others. It's usually quite surprising because I assume some posts which I've poured my heart and soul into should get more attention, but they usually aren't the ones that get conversations started. It's usually the ones that I just stick up thinking "Hm. I relate to that. Isn't that interesting."

But there seems to be a pattern in what people take interest in. Facebook in particular is like this great big testing ground for psychological if-then experiments. Sorry folks, I'm not saying you're all Guinea pigs or lab rats (which terminology in and of itself is a whole other blog post), but that when you want information, isn't facebook a great place to collect information from? I'd just like to say that I really don't see it like this any of the time up until today. So please don't think I'm judging and analyzing comments... That would be uncomfortable.


Anyway, as I was saying, there seems to be a pattern in what people take interest in. It seems to me that a person takes interest in things that are most relevant not to the person telling the story, but to the reader herself. In every case, it seems that people share what is relevant to their world, and yet only if others find it relevant do they respond. Interesting isn't it? I mean, you post something on facebook or you tell someone about your day, and it's not really you or your story they are interested in. They are actually only interested in how it relates to their life. Would you agree?

So now I'm wondering what can I give to other people to add value and substance to their lives through my own experiences?

This is the question, and I am stumped.

It begs a few more questions which I've yet to figure out answers to, such as:
  • Is it ok to discuss my triumphs, or is that bragging? Is bragging wrong? What is right? 
  • Are my struggles worth sharing with people in general? If so, when and how? 
  • Are my tedious activities such as going here or there of interest to anyone? If so, how?
  • What is it that others relate to the best? 
  • Why do people feel inspired by other's stories? 
  • How can I build inspiration into my story? Or can I? 
Anyway I would ADORE you forever if you'd take part in the discussion here. This is very important to me. Question is, is it important enough to you to respond? 



4 comments:

Brandy Mars said...

True!!! People always surprise me with what they read and I feel the same. Some of the "best posts" in my eyes are not that viewed. Just keep being yourself and people connect with your writing Sarah:)

Kotarah said...

FINALLY I'm getting a chance to respond to this! I've also noticed a general pattern that Facebook users tend to go in for liking posts. I've been shocked by some of them. I find that major events like getting engaged, having a baby, etc. get a TON of attention. Whereas things like big emotional change are overlooked, for the most part.

To answer your questions:

I want to hear about your triumphs. I think some of the issue with the world is that they don't know how to take happy people. Celebrate your triumphs, and some people (like me) want to celebrate them with you! Not enough people take pride in what they do. Saying you're good at something is not necessarily bragging. I find bragging to be shoving a success down someone's throat. You don't take me as the kind of person who would do this. So please tell us about your triumphs!

2) That's a tough with one. I would say use discretion. I used to share my issues with anyone and everyone up until I started loving myself. Then I found that there were certain things that I should keep for me, and that I got through them faster not telling as many people about them. It depends, though. Every person is so different. I find sharing struggle is a way to keep yourself human in a world where everybody needs to be perfect. Sharing some struggle can be good, and inspirational! As I said, use your own discretion. You'll figure it out.

3) It depends on what you mean by tedious activities. I'm interested in your traveling and such. In fact, I'm interested in most things about you. Just no "I woke up. Then I ate cake. Then I went to the store." kind of thing. (By the way, eating raw vegan cake for breakfast is the best thing EVER! (I'm having a lot of fun writing this)).

3) You hit this one right on the nose. People want to see what relates to them. Usually that's funny cat videos, or something that blows them out of the water. Something completely unheard of! People relate to best what they're going through at the time. If they think, "Hey, that's precisely what I needed." chances are they'll retweet it or "like" it.

4) Tough one. People have been passing on stories for generations. I think that what's handy about hearing about other people's stories is that we can find someone who knows something else and apply it to our lives. As human being we can't change without outer knowledge, we usually gain outer knowledge through other people's stories. Make sense?

5) I think that building something of an inspirational nature is something that can't be explained. The more you open yourself up, and the more honest you are, the more likely people are to respond to it.

I hope this helps! Love ya!

Unknown said...

Thanks Brandy - I know you've got an ongoing blog too, so you've probably experienced this. You'll put all this time and effort into a post and it might get next to no response - leaves ya feeling a little like "what just happened there? Didn't anyone see the value that was there?"

Anyway, you're fantastic. Thanks for the encouragement. It's spurring me forward. :D

Unknown said...

Awesome!! Thanks for your thoughts, Kotarah. You've given me a lot to think about. I like what you wrote. I think there is a common thread here in all your answers which is SOOO nice, because if it's a common thread, it's probably true. It sounds like the common threads are these:

1. Be present with yourself enough to know what you really care about and what is worth sharing
2. Give people what's relevant to you and it will probably be relevant to them.

I like that. I will work that into my beliefs. :D

You're a ray of sunshine, girl. Keep shinin'!