Saturday, September 13

Food = People

I need to confess. For as long as I can remember, I've been afraid of people. Like, not just strangers, but I mean EVERYONE. It suddenly occurred to me the other day that I was afraid of people for no reason and this analogy helped me understand the realization:

In the same way that they say you are what you eat, you are also who you surround yourself with.

In essence, if I could compare people to food, I had gone through life believing that ALL "FOOD" (ie: people) was poison, and eating (ie: interacting with) very little. But the truth is the same for food or people in that just as poison is RARE, dangerous toxic people are also rare. At home, the food (or the people) is safer to eat (or interact with) than in situations out of my control. The poisonous foods are more commonly found IN THE WILD, just as the more toxic people are more commonly found in chaotic environments.

Also, just because you once found something from the grocery store that is bad, that doesn't mean you should never go to the grocery store again. Just because you find one distasteful experience with a person doesn't mean you should never talk to someone with those qualities again. But that's what I was in essence doing, and I just didn't know it.

Now I see that the majority of people are SAFE, and that I am safe to be around virtually all of them. There is the rare one or two that are NOT safe, and that shouldn't prevent me from surrounding myself with everyone else. :)

Love love forever,
Sarah

No comments: